“Know ye that the Lord he is God: he made us, and not we ourselves.”Psalms 99:3 Douay Rheims Bible
Out of the depths of Judeo-Christian history comes a word speaking directly to the confusion, rebellion, and despair abundant in this present age. How astounding to find a truth, written in the hazy mists of time somewhere beyond two millennia ago, so striking in the prescience and accuracy with which it confronts the “transgender” nonsense prevalent in this era supposedly representing the pinnacle of human knowledge and wisdom.
“And not we ourselves.” God created us, and we did not. And therefore, we must accept how he created us: male and female, designed to be fathers and mothers, complementing and accompanying each other in this life He has given us. St. Robert Bellarmine sees in this passage an expression of the deepest gratitude to God:
“Enter into his house with praise and thanksgiving, acknowledging you owe all to him, and have received everything from him.” 
Yet today we are surrounded with denial of this obvious truth, and instead of gratitude we witness outright rebellion in the cacophony spewing forth from the progressive elites. “Transgender” implies it is possible to transition between the male and female genders, or that there might be some spectrum of intermediate genders which are neither male nor female. But human gender is written indelibly into each and every one of the 30 trillion or so cells in the human body. The biological mechanism for sex determination allows for only two genders, male and female. Colin Wright helps us to understand this in a particularly clear statement:
“When biologists speak of sex being “binary,” we mean something very straightforward. There exist only two sexes, which are fundamentally rooted in the binary classification between sperm and ova. Males have the function of producing small gametes (sperm), and females large gametes (ova). Other measurable sex differences beyond gametes (which include genetic differences, hormone levels, and average morphological and behavioral differences) are either a cause or consequence of this fundamentally binary and definitional distinction between males and females, and they need not be binary.” 
Disorders which arise with the chromosomes determining gender in humans do not result in gender variants – they are abnormalities which happen at a very low rate in this extremely complex system called the human body. Similarly, psychological disorders can interfere with a person’s proper perception of their gender.
As we are taught by the Catechism in the case of homosexual disorders , charity must be exercised in dealing with those suffering from gender disorders. But the exercise of charity does not mean the right thing to do is to pretend the disorders do not exist. Yet the American Psychiatric Association did exactly that in 2013. The APA Fact Sheet describing the reclassification of gender disorders is a masterpiece of deception:
“ . . . people whose gender at birth is contrary to the one they identify with will be diagnosed with gender dysphoria. . . . The critical element of gender dysphoria is the presence of clinically significant distress associated with the condition.” 
The term “gender at birth” implies gender is an arbitrary assignment, one that might be changed, made at birth by doctors or others who have no appreciation for the inherent being of the newborn baby. This is simply false. As discussed above, a person’s gender is determined at the cellular level, and is immutable. Further, while people with psychological gender disorders experience a conflict between the truth of how they were created and their erroneous perceptions of that creation, this re-definition of the condition now commits some clever sleight of hand, and asserts the real issue here to be the symptom: “ . . . the presence of clinically significant distress associated with the condition.” The idea that the underlying problem is the discomfort experienced with injury or disease, rather than the actual injury or disease, would never be considered for physical ailments.
A similar ploy is used by those who would make a distinction between gender and sex, as in this statement from the World Health Organization:
“Gender refers to the characteristics of women, men, girls and boys that are socially constructed. This includes norms, behaviours and roles associated with being a woman, man, girl or boy, as well as relationships with each other. As a social construct, gender varies from society to society and can change over time.” 
This is nothing other than an attempt to normalize gender disorders, building the entire edifice of gender ideology upon the psychological illnesses of the gender-confused. Rather than acknowledging the need for treatment, the medical profession has turned truth upon its head, and conditions which should be recognized as abnormal and requiring treatment have been instead ordained as healthy and normal. It is fascinating to see that those who have succumbed to gender ideology have adopted the mantra of “pride” – thereby accusing themselves of slavery to sin and prophesying their own destruction. Catholic teaching describes pride as one of the capital sins, addressed in the Catechism  referencing St. Gregory the Great,  who himself refers to Holy Scripture:
“The beginning of the pride of man, is to fall off from God: Because his heart is departed from him that made him: for pride is the beginning of all sin: he that holdeth it, shall be filled with maledictions, and it shall ruin him in the end.”Ecclesiasticus 10:14, 15, Douay-Rheims Bible
“It shall ruin him in the end.” The immediate result of the “reclassification” of gender disorders is the denial of corrective psychiatric treatment to suffering individuals. The damage resulting from the loss of psychiatric treatment is then magnified, since a justification has now been created for mutilating the gender-disordered in an attempt to approximate their bodies to their “perceived” gender. Sarah Cain exposes the inherent immorality of the euphemistically termed “gender-affirming care”:
“. . . these are not medical procedures because they are not healing. They do not have the potential or even goal of healing, only of placating an ill mind. Mutilation harms the individual in distress, denigrates the medical profession, and sickens society.” 
Such presumptuous yet pathetic attempts to violate the creative plan established by God constitute open rebellion against Him – a fact noted in 2014 by Pope Benedict.  Not surprisingly, the human misery caused by the rebellion implicit in “gender-affirming” care is horrifying. I challenge you to review the graphic descriptions documented by TT Exulansic of the physical mutilation involved  – and then imagine the mental distress patients experience when they finally and fully realize that what they have done to themselves cannot be undone.
But the damage done to the afflicted individuals is not the only impact. The failure to recognize the objective truth of the matter propagates throughout society. A whole vocabulary has grown up around the seemingly endless varieties of gender disorders which are now being trumpeted as alternative forms of health. We have worked ourselves into a situation in which everyone must feign blindness to the elephant in the room, and cooperate in attacking those who have the temerity to point out the nakedness of the faux-gender emperor. The original message of “live and let live” has morphed into a more aggressive and demanding form, progressing even to the initiation of legislation to criminalize speech which doesn’t go along with this hoax.  A recent survey demonstrated the tyrannical bent of the cultural degradation among millenials resulting from faux-genderism:
“The survey by Redfield & Wilton Strategies found that 44 percent of respondents between 25 and 34 say what’s known as misgendering should be a crime. Only 31 percent were firm that such conduct should not be a crime . . .” 
The faux-gender movement has had a signficant impact on society. Christians need to get beyond their typical reactive posture and instead get ahead of the problem, and try to understand where this mushrooming disaster is heading. The progressive contagion will continue to propagate if we do not fight it, since the devil is never satisfied with the extent of his grip on souls. The stakes are very high. It would be bad enough if this evil were to be confined only to adults. However, what I find to be particularly disturbing is the focus by the faux-gender leviathan on children.
I think it is now possible to understand the direction in which this evil is going. It is a pattern we have seen before, when the broad acceptance of homosexuality led to “homosexual marriage” and then adoption of children by homosexual couples. I grieve for the children who are saddled with a pseudo-mother or father, and who will never know the love of a real mother or father, a love they deserve to experience, and a love God intended for them to have, because we have brashly decided homosexual couples are fit to raise children. And now, with the cultural appeasement of gender ideologues, we are told we must accept the ludicrous spectacle of disturbed men dressed as provocative women reading stories to children – as if that is nothing out of the ordinary. The whole business is clearly an effort to influence children to believe faux-gendered people are perfectly normal and safe. Beyond the dismaying spectacle of “story hours,” the country’s education establishment has been stealthily working to steer children toward “gender transition” while avoiding parental notification.  The progressive elites have lost all sense of judgment and propriety and respect for the innocence of children. Witness, for example, the perverse videos on the website “Queer Kid Stuff – LGBTQ+ And Social Justice Videos for All Ages”,  among which is a video of the reading of a children’s book explaining abortion.  What possible justification could there be for teaching children about the murder of other children in the wombs of their mothers? Unfortunately, all of the indoctrination is having an impact – and the rapid acceleration of youth professing to be enslaved by gender confusion should be causing alarms to sound across the country. 
But even the massive psychological devastation among youth caused by the pestilence of gender ideology is not enough for the gender progressives. As with the destruction of children in the womb via abortion – as with the surrender of children to homosexual couples – as with the sudden focus on “gender affirmation” surgery and chemical intrusion on even young children [17, 18] – it is clear the devil is intent on further pursuing the attack on children to another level. We now see the faux-gender movement heading straight toward pedophilia. Any sane parent has got to be terrified by the sick chants heard along the route of the June “Pride” parade in New York City:
“We’re here, we’re queer, we’re coming for your children.” 
This movement is not just a product of the activists. We now see the legal framework for the protection of children being undermined by the “eminent” members of the International Commission of Jurists, who produced a document last March in cooperation with United Nations agencies which advocated that sex between adults and children who consent should be decriminalized:
“Moreover, sexual conduct involving persons below the domestically prescribed minimum age of consent to sex may be consensual, in fact, if not in law. In this context, the enforcement of criminal law should reflect the rights and capacities of persons under 18 years of age to make decisions about engaging in consensual sexual conduct and their right to be heard in matters concerning them.” 
Thinking like this should not be thought to be remote and irrelevant to us here in the U. S. As reported in detail by John Daniel Davidson of the Federalist, Minnesota Democrat legislators of the same ilk in May fought but failed to prevent language in the Minnesota Human Rights Act specifying that pedophilia is not a sexual orientation:
“By removing that language, the bill would have opened the door to widening the definition of sexual orientation to include pedophilia as a protected class alongside other minorities.” 
The important thing to recognize here is that the progressive elites of society – the corporate, media, legal, academic, and medical professions, and every component of government – are leading the faux-gender attacks on children. Therefore, we must understand we can no longer look to secular institutions to protect Christian norms. We must instead look to the Church.
The Church to date has done a decent job of setting forth the Christian principles governing our understanding of gender. For example, the Catechism is quite clear:
“Everyone, man and woman, should acknowledge and accept his sexual identity. Physical, moral, and spiritual difference and complementarity are oriented toward the goods of marriage and the flourishing of family life. The harmony of the couple and of society depends in part on the way in which the complementarity, needs, and mutual support between the sexes are lived out.” 
There are other good examples of Catholic teaching on this matter. In 2017, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) along with other Christian leaders published a statement upholding the Christian understanding of sexuality and male and female genders.  This year the USCCB provided doctrinal guidance asserting the immorality of surgical or other physical intervention for the purpose of addressing gender dysphoria or gender disorders, and also voted in June to revise the Religious and Ethical Directives for Catholic Health Care to prohibit so-called “gender-affirming” care involving surgical or other manipulation to artificially attempt alteration of a patient’s gender. [24, 25] Individual bishops have also weighed in, as did Arlington Bishop Michael Burbidge with his 2021 catechesis on gender ideology. This document is an excellent statement of the basic principles in this area, teaching the truths inherent in God’s creation of man and woman, while expressing appropriate solicitude for the afflicted. It also recognizes much of the social harm being done by the faux-gender movement. However, the document is, consistent with its title, only a catechesis, a statement teaching Catholics the articles of their faith in this matter. 
But simply teaching Catholics what they should already know or directing Catholic institutions to act within the teaching of the Church is not sufficient. Especially when we see the infiltration of movements to endorse and support gender ideology at even the very highest levels of the Church. For example, several American bishops have succumbed to the deception at the root of the faux-gender crisis, by implicitly accepting the distorted language of the “LGBT” movement. The following statements originate from a group of radical U. S. bishops who have chosen to focus exclusively on the maltreatment experienced by the gender-disordered:
“ . . . the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that LGBT people are to be treated with ‘respect, compassion and sensitivity . . . All people of goodwill should help, support, and defend LGBT youth. . . .” 
Although these declarations sound compassionate and reflective of Christ’s love, they suffer from the deceit inherent in the references to “LGBT people” and “LGBT youth,” which legitimize the fiction that faux-genderism is normal. There is not a single reference in this statement to assisting these disturbed people to receive psychiatric treatment to heal their mental disorders.
Even worse are the troubling statements from Cardinal McElroy attempting to leverage the Synod on Synodality, thus potentially affecting the entire Church, in the effort to endorse gender ideology:
“Cardinal McElroy argues that the synodal process on synodality for a synodal Church is an opportune time to revisit — and revise — some doctrines of the Church. Among those are the question of priestly ordination for women, but his main focus was on “radical inclusion of L.G.B.T. people.”” 
Faithful bishops should be emphatically and persistently speaking to the world, not just Catholics. A case in point is the November 2022 address of Oklahoma Archbishop Paul Coakley to the Napa Institute, a Catholic organization dedicated to transforming the culture, wherein he attributed the roots of the faux-gender crisis to the devil:
“If the devil can confuse society about sex and gender, he obscures our understanding of God’s plan for humanity at its very roots.’” [29
The effectiveness of the Archbishop’s speech can be measured by the aggrieved response from those who endorse the faux-gender evil, such as the zealots at New Ways Ministry.  Archbishop Cordileone of San Francisco has also not been afraid to proclaim the demonic nature of the transgender ideology.  The leadership provided by orthodox Catholic shepherds like these on this issue is critically important. William Kilpatrick put it this way recently:
“The U.S. bishops have a lot on their hands. But there are some topics they can’t afford to ignore. While the bishops are rightly concerned by the large number of children who are being kidnapped by sex traffickers on our southern border, they also need to start worrying about the even larger number of children who are being trafficked into a perverted ideology by some well-meaning but naive people—and also by a substantial number who are neither well-meaning nor naive.” 
In the face of overwhelming pressure from the progressive elites, now including even treacherous elements from within the Church itself, it is time for the faithful shepherds of the Church to lead the fight against this evil. And the key word is “fight.” The time for mild, cautiously tempered arguments designed to avoid offense is over. It is time to proclaim the truth fearlessly. Like the apostles, martyrs, and saints of centuries past.
1. Bellarmine, Robert. “A Commentary on the Book of Psalms.” Psalm 99. eCatholic2000. 2016. https://ecatholic2000.com/bell/psalms.shtml#_Toc417747233
2. Wright, Colin. “Are There More Than Two Sexes?” City Journal. March 2, 2023. https://www.city-journal.org/article/are-there-more-than-two-sexes
3. United States Catholic Conference, Inc. Libreria Editrice Vaticana. Catechism of the Catholic Church, San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1994, paragraph 2538. https://www.usccb.org/sites/default/files/flipbooks/catechism/568/#zoom=z
4. “Gender Dysphoria.” Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V). American Psychiatric Association. 2013. https://www.psychiatry.org/File%20Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/DSM/APA_DSM-5-Gender-Dysphoria.pdf
5. “Gender and health.” World Health Organization/Health Topics. Accessed July 24, 2023. https://www.who.int/health-topics/gender#tab=tab_1
6. United States Catholic Conference, Inc. Libreria Editrice Vaticana. Catechism of the Catholic Church, San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1994, paragraph 1866. https://www.usccb.org/sites/default/files/flipbooks/catechism/459/#zoom=z
7. THE BOOKS OF THE MORALS OF ST. GREGORY THE POPE, OR AN EXPOSITION ON THE BOOK OF BLESSED JOB. VOLUME III – THE SIXTH PART. BOOK XXXI, 87. http://www.lectionarycentral.com/GregoryMoralia/Book31.html
8. Sarah Cain. “The Moral Cowardice of Ignoring Trans Adults.” Crisis Magazine. July 24, 2023. https://crisismagazine.com/opinion/the-moral-cowardice-of-ignoring-trans-adults
9. Maike, Hickson. “Moral theologian: Benedict XVI called gender ideology ‘the ultimate rebellion against God.’” LifeSiteNews. May 16, 2023. https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/moral-theologian-benedict-xvi-called-gender-ideology-the-ultimate-rebellion-against-god/
10. TT Exulansic. “Genital Mutilation for the Masses.” The American Mind. June 14, 2023. https://americanmind.org/salvo/genital-mutilation-for-the-masses
11. Linebarger, Cullen. “THOUGHTCRIME: Michigan May Imprison Residents for Years for “Misgendering” or “Threatening” LGBTQ Individuals Under New “Hate Speech” Bill.” Gateway Pundit. June 30, 2023.
12. Davis, Jack. “Using Wrong Pronouns Should Be ‘Criminal Offense,’ Say Almost Half of Millennials: Survey.” The Western Journal. July 16, 2023. https://www.westernjournal.com/using-wrong-pronouns-criminal-offense-say-almost-half-millennials-survey/
13. Berg, Luke. “How Schools’ Transgender Policies Are Eroding Parents’ Rights.” American Enterprise Institute/Conservative Education Reforn Network. March 2022. https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/How-Schools%E2%80%99-Transgender-Policies-Are-Eroding-Parents%E2%80%99-Rights.pdf?x91208
14. Queer Kid Stuff – LGBTQ+ And Social Justice Videos for All Ages. Accessed 24 July 2023. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCecsVoeJcsXbAra7Sl4mOPw
15. Mondoro, Jean. “Resurfaced video shows gender-confused YouTuber reading children’s book about abortion.” LifeSite News. July 17, 2023. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/resurfaced-video-shows-gender-confused-youtuber-reading-childrens-book-about-abortion/
16. Respaut, Robin and Terhune, Chad. “Putting numbers on the rise in children seeking gender care.” Reuters Investigates/Youth in Transition. October 6, 2022. https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-transyouth-data/
17. “The dark side of transgenderism: Moral monsters are mutilating children without parental involvement.” Washington Examiner. July 31, 2021. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/dark-side-of-transgenderism-monsters-mutilating-children
18. Kao, Emilie. “We’ll Tell You What ‘60 Minutes+’ Won’t About How Transgender Movement Endangers Kids.” The Heritage Foundation. June 30, 2021. https://www.heritage.org/gender/commentary/well-tell-you-what-60-minutes-wont-about-how-transgender-movement-endangers-kids
19. Orsi, Michael. “‘Pride’ marchers chanting ‘we’re coming for your children’ shows what the LGBT agenda is about.” LifeSite News. July 4, 2023. https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/pride-marchers-chanting-were-coming-for-your-children-shows-what-the-lgbt-agenda-is-about/
20. “The 8 March Principles for a Human Rights-Based Approach to Criminal Law Proscribing Conduct Associated with Sex, Reproduction, Drug Use, HIV, Homelessness and Poverty Rights-Based Approach to Criminal Law.” The International Commission of Jurists. March 2023. https://share-netinternational.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/8-MARCH-Principles-FINAL-printer-version-1-MARCH-2023.pdf
21. Davidson, John Daniel. “Yes, The Trans Movement Is Coming For Your Kids.” The Federalist. May 3, 2023. https://thefederalist.com/2023/05/03/yes-the-trans-movement-is-coming-for-your-kids/
22. United States Catholic Conference, Inc. Libreria Editrice Vaticana. Catechism of the Catholic Church, San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1994, paragraph 2333. https://www.usccb.org/sites/default/files/flipbooks/catechism/562/#zoom=z
23. “Created Male and Female: An Open Letter from Religious Leaders.” U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops/Promotion and Defense of Marriage. December 15, 2017. https://www.usccb.org/topics/promotion-defense-marriage/created-male-and-female
24. “Doctrinal Note on the Moral Limits to Technological Manipulation of the Human Body.” U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. March 20 2023. https://www.usccb.org/resources/doctrinal-note-moral-limits-technological-manipulation-human-body
25. Brown, Lauretta. “US Bishops Approve Plan for Guidance to Health-Care Institutions on Transgender Issues.” National Catholic Register/Nation. June 16, 2023. https://www.ncregister.com/cna/us-bishops-approve-plan-for-guidance-to-health-care-institutions-on-transgender-issues
26. Burbidge, Michael. “A Catechesis on the Human Person and Gender Ideology.” Catholic Diocese of Arlington. August 12, 2021. https://www.arlingtondiocese.org/communications/bishop/public-messages/catechesis-on-gender-ideology-english-20dec.pdf
27. “God is on your side: A statement from Catholic Bishops on protecting LGBT Youth.” Tyler Clementi Foundation. Accessed July 24, 2023. https://tylerclementi.org/catholicbishopsstatement/
28. de Souza, Raymond. “Cardinal McElroy’s Attack on Church Teachings on Sexuality Is a Pastoral Disaster.” National Catholic Register. January 26, 2023. https://www.ncregister.com/commentaries/cardinal-mcelroy-s-attack-on-church-teachings-on-sexuality-is-a-pastoral-disaster
29. “Msgr Herron Dinner – Archbishop Coakley.” Facebook/Napa Institute. November 30, 2022. https://www.facebook.com/napainstitute/videos/462400956047305/
30. Shine, Robert. “USCCB Secretary Claims Transgender Equality Is “Doing Great Damage to Society.” New Ways Ministry. December 14, 2022. https://www.newwaysministry.org/2022/12/14/usccb-secretary-claims-transgender-equality-is-doing-great-damage-to-society/
31. Lamb, Matt. “Abp. Cordileone condemns abortion as ‘satanic worship,’ LGBT ideology as ‘demonic.’” LifeSite News. April 11, 2023. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/abp-cordileone-condemns-abortion-as-satanic-worship-lgbt-ideology-as-demonic/
32. Kilpatrick, William. “The Trans Controversy: American Bishops Face a Divided Nation and a Divided Church.” Crisis Magazine. July 18, 2023. https://crisismagazine.com/opinion/the-trans-controversy-american-bishops-face-a-divided-nation-and-a-divided-church